Tuesday, May 03, 2011

JeeNodes Arrive!





The JeeNode kits I ordered just before Easter have turned up.

I ordered 2 JeeNode kits and 4 bare pcbs, which I will make up as and when I need them.

During the Snowdonbuild, we used JeeNode extensively to act as a wireless "shield" to complement Nanode.

Jean Claude Wippler at JeeLabs has written some neat code to allow a JeeNode to run the Microchip ENC28J60 ethernet controller. This is the same one we use on Nanode, which makes it fairly straightforward to get code to run on both systems.

JeeNodes use the RFM12 wireless modules from Hope RF. These are available very cheaply as "Alpha" wireless modules from suppliers such as Maplin in the UK.

In the next week I hope to duplicate some of the developments from the Snowdonbuild and get my JeeNodes transferring data from my solar water heating system back to an internet connected Nanode.

The JeeNode kit is very easy to build. It took me under an hour to build the first pair, pause for a ham baguette and then test out the RFM12 Demo sketch which comes preprogrammed into the ATmega328. I have not yet fitted the port connectors - because I have yet to decide whether I want these to plug into a breadboard or some sort of a connector on the Nanode.
The success of running the 16MHz JeeNode at 3.3V makes me wonder whether I should run the Nanode at 3V3 to reduce power consumption significantly and to simplify some aspects of the design.





1 comment:

John Beale said...

Yes, it turns out that Atmel was conservative in their speed vs. voltage ratings. At least for "normal" temperatures, the thousands of Jeenodes in the field show that 16 MHz at 3.3V works just fine.